Wednesday, May 30, 2012

A reminder why.

It was about a month or so ago that I was picking up the boys at daycare and there was another mother there picking up her children, and you could tell she was very upset.  Her daughter said something about the happenings for the evening and you could tell by her mom's response that she was in distress.  And then I heard the word "Cancer" and "Mom" come out of her mother's mouth and it was instant the feeling in my gut.  Those tears welting up in your eyes.  Knowing--that someone else was being so closely effected by this horrible disease called "cancer."

Last week a friend of mine lost their Aunt so suddenly no one saw it coming.  Today-she posted that it was lung cancer that took her.  Her aunt had only been dealing with a cough since January--nothing else that would point to cancer.

It seems everyday I am reminded of the struggle cancer gives.  Not only for the person who is battling cancer, but for those around that loved one.  The thought of knowing there are so so so many people hoping and wishing for "just one more" makes my heart hurt.

And then I realize--THIS is why I run.  The battle I wage on the road is NOTHING compared to that of fighting cancer--or trying to make the most of those "one more's" while watching a loved one slowly pass away from this horrible disease.  However--the awareness to cancer's unknown, the fundraising for cancer research, and the opportunity to provide "just one more" is like nothing else.  Its what fuels every mile--even at 5:30am.


1 comment:

  1. I had to come back and re-read this post. Thank you again for writing it... sweet, meaningful, and another reason for me to add to my list of reasons to get off this couch and GO!
    I keep replaying the past few months in my mind, all the time wondering how we couldn't have known, and then realizing how blessed we were that everything happened so fast that Tues. She wouldn't have wanted to suffer through treatments, not with the prognosis. I still can't believe it will be 2weeks, it still seems like such a horrible dream :(

    ReplyDelete