Saturday, May 19, 2012

Plugging Along!

Sort of! :) 

The past few weeks have been interesting!  I have really enjoyed getting my run on!  Last Sunday on Mother's Day I completed race #5 during a 7 mile training run! (It was a 10K)--and it felt GREAT!! 

However, I have been dealing with some health issues!  Back in January I suddenly got hit with some CRAZY dizziness.  And unfortunately--it hasn't gone away.  It had gotten better--but within the last few weeks it has gotten way worse again :(  In fact--last week it has been at its worse since the first onset.  But that's not the only thing I have been dealing with---exhaustion, headaches, and upset stomach also make this list!  I was talking with a friend and she mentioned to have my iron levels checked.  This had never occurred to me before she had mentioned it!  I decided that before I went into the Dr. I would do some research--no use in taking a trip to the doctor if I don't NEED to!  We still have craptacular insurance (until June 1st!)--so I wanted to make sure I was pretty sure this would be something I could fix easily--and simple to determine.   Upon my research I found that--ALL of my symptoms fall into this category--INCLUDING the increase in time per mile!  Basically--when your iron levels deplete--your body can't effectively run fast!  I have been seeing a decline in my running speed and it has been bothering me!  I have increased my mileage and the number of times that I run--and my base is pretty solid!  So I should in theory be getting faster and more efficient at running!  Although-I am not :( 

My dr's appointment is on Wednesday! :)  They will be checking my iron levels for anemia and iron depletion (which, oddly enough is 2 different issues!  From my understanding--Anemia is a basic how much iron is in your blood--and depletion is the amount of iron in your muscles/bones/ect.--there is a different hormone/chemical they have to test the amount of to determine depletion!)  Hopefully it will be simple and I will know what the next step is by the end of the week!

This weekend I am hoping to get out for some training miles!  And then next week I am thinking about switching over to morning miles vs. evening miles since I am basically done for the school year!  The last week of school is pretty much dead for substitutes!  :)

Have a fabulous week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment