Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Independence Day 13.1

Tomorrow morning, bright and early--my husband, brother, and I are setting out on a 13.1 mile run.  While I will be by far the slowest--we are all going to go 13.1 it will take me at least an hour longer than those 2.  Originally I was going to make my husband run it with me--going slow and encouraging me--but I know how absolutely horrible that will be for him.  So--he is going to go ahead of me.  As well as my brother!  HOWEVER, they both said they were going to come join me for the last 5K or so after they finish!  So that will be nice!

We wanted to do this run for prep.  To see how absolutely miserable we are going to be!  The other great thing--we are going to set out at 6:15.  Which means not only will we be done by about 9:15--we will also be heading out the same time that we will for the 1/2 marathon on the 22nd! :)

I am excited and nervous!  I think if I keep it slow and steady--and take it mile by mile and make sure to not get down on myself I can do it!  We will be doing 2 loops of a trail that my brother knows but I haven't been on.  At the 1/2 way point we will have water and Gatorade (as well as I think a banana and chews) in our car.  We have frozen 4 bottles of water, and we have 2 large gatorades in the fridge to go into a cooler pack.

This last week has been a bit emotional.  I am once again reminded of the horrible disease that cancer is.  And as I embark on this 1/2 marathon distance tomorrow--each step of the way I will be thankful for my health, my happiness, and those "just one more" moments that Grandma and I shared together.  I also know--that I will have an angel right by my side--cheering me on!  Today as I was driving to school I cried for the 1st time in a long time--I was thinking about a friend who has a loved one in their final stages of their battle with cancer.  It just breaks my heart and brings back such sad memories of those last few weeks in my Grandma's battle.  And to add to my tears--there was a woman walking that looked JUST LIKE her.  Walking like her--her body shape was just like hers--her wrinkles like her.  And the tears just flowed.  :(

I will report back tomorrow on how things go! :)  I am hoping to log in a 1/2 marathon time under 3 hours and 30 minutes.  Honestly I would really like to see under 3 hours...but, I also just want to accomplish the distance.

The goal will be the same for the Rock and Roll 1/2 Marathon as well!  No real time goal--just finishing!  Well, and not getting picked up by the "Your going too slow" van.  LOL!  There's a time limit of 3:30 on the course and you have to pass certain check-points within a certain time frame or else the van will pick you up!

And I'm off! :)  Have a great night!

No comments:

Post a Comment