Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Tales from a not-quite 13.1 mile run.

This morning bright and early we set out for a run.  I have to say--it actually wasn't to bad when we started out--the downfall of the trail was that there was NO shade what-so-ever.  :( 

The first 4 miles I was feel really good-EXCEPT I had to go to the bathroom.  Like...BAD.  I tried to go before we started--but couldn't.  SO I started--well about 4 miles in--there was no questions--I needed to find a bathroom.  So, I detoured off the trail and went to the gas station not so far away.  That's where things went downhill.

I ran to and from the gas station--stopped to take a drink at the car before heading out again.  And I just COULD NOT find my groove :(  To add to the groove-lessness of the run, my hip was starting to bother me.

However, I was determined come hell or high water to finish the distance.  So--I slowed down to a walk.  I figured covering the distance was better than just stopping!  So--I continued.  Every so often I would jog some and then walk.  Jog and then walk.  It was between mile 7 and 8 that I could feel my dizziness kick in when I was jogging.  SO--I made the ultimate decision to walk the rest. 

My real goal today was to just FINISH the distance.  I wanted to assure myself that I COULD go that far...and that I COULD complete it under 3:30.

The good news: I CAN complete the 13.1 in under 3:30.  The bad news--I didn't really complete the entire distance.  But based on our stats--and how fast we were going we would have been in under 3:15! :)  So that is re-assuring!  Even walking over half of the distance!  I completed just about 11 miles!

Justin (my husband) turned around with me when we met as he had about 2 miles to complete (and I had 7+!) and walked with me!  It was so nice to have someone with me!  :)  It really did push me to walk faster and keep up! 

I was the only one out of us 4 that didn't complete the entire distance :(  My Dad actually got up and ran a 1/2 marathon this morning as well!  How cool is that?  What a great experience for all of us!  A great learning experience that's for sure!

I learned a few things on my run:
1) Make sure to go to the bathroom before you leave.  No questions asked...sit on the pot until it comes out!  Stopping is dreadful!
2) I REALLY REALLY need to hydrate a LOT these next few weeks.  The prep for hydration needs to start NOW.  I REALLY need to get my water intake through the roof so that my body has proper hydration.
3) I REALLY need to log some road time.  I am not sure if it was the pavement or what--however, the soles of my feet HURT.  They are really super sore.  To the point that that was the determining factor in me stopping.  I feel like I just need to build up the calluses! LOL!
4) I need to figure out how to stretch my hip to give it some relief when it is getting tight.
5) I REALLY need a running buddy!  Running long runs WITH someone makes ALL the difference!  THANKFULLY--my Daddy and I will be running together--so I will have encouragement along the way!
6) My iPhone battery--despite being fully charged--will only last about 10 miles with Nike+ and Pandora running.  Thankfully, when we run the Rock and Roll 1/2 I won't need either!  As the path will be marked and there are bands every 1/2 mile!
7)  Getting pooped on by a bird is not really cool. LOL!

So yep...it was a great learning experience and it makes me feel A LOT better about what's to come!  Even if I didn't finish the full 13.1 distance! 

No comments:

Post a Comment