Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Long Run Fabulous-ness!

Monday night I was trying to convince myself to run.  I hadn't run and I knew that the likelihood I would get out for a long run later in the week was slim due to the fact that the heat is CRAZY here!  So..running a long distance would be extremely tough in 100+ degree weather!  I just kept making excuses.

And then...my husband goes "Just go run Christine."  I told him that I just wasn't going to go.  I just didn't have the energy.  Well...then I just said....F**k it--I need to go.

My goal was 4 miles.  Honestly I just wanted to do 4 miles--however, there is this loop.  A loop my husband had done--but I hadn't ever ventured out that far--and well before I left I told my darling husband that I wasn't sure what I was going to do--4 miles or the loop.  Well, a mile in I was feeling good!  I was in control and feeling strong!  So...I made the decision to go for it.

It wasn't until past a mile that I realized my Nike+ app had shut down.  I wanted an update to my distance and realized it had shut down on me.  I stopped and tried to restart it 2 more times.  The same thing happened.  Fail.  So--I started Endomundo up.  After 2 more miles....it TOO shut down.  I was looking for a mileage update and nothing--so I slowed down to check in on my run--and lo and behold IT had stopped as well :(  Ugh.  Fail again.

So--I went sans tracking.  It was honestly one of the best decisions I made.  I just ran.  I knew that the loop was going to take me back into Salix--and that I would end up with the longest run I had had in a substantial amount of time (since Mother's Day!).

It was FABULOUS!  I entered my route on Endomundo when I got back--it said about 6.7 miles!  Which was great--I was hoping for something closer to 8--but regardless these miles felt GREAT!  I feel much more empowered and like I WILL be able to do the 1/2 marathon and not die in the process!! :)  I only walked those 2 times to check my tracking--and then a 3rd because my hip was really bothering me and I wanted to stretch it out.  (And was really sore/painful yesterday as well!  But doing much better today!)

On a side note--I was VERY thankful that I was close to the connecting road when a SKUNK crossed the road ahead of me...and then crossed BACK across the road!!  Ya--talk about FREAK out!  I did NOT want to get skunked!  Oh ya--I also had a deer jut out from the corn field!  Made me definitely nervous!  Thankfully I did NOT get skunked or hit by a deer!  I did however, take my left ear headphone out so I could listen for any other animals!

So there you have it!  A great long run to start off a good week!  Tonight I am heading to the Y for a run because it is hot, hot, hot outside.   A shorter run 3-4 miles!  But hopefully another consistent run!  I like running on the treadmill because it really does push my strength and makes running outside easier! I can make myself go faster on the treadmill--because well, if I don't go faster then I will fly off of it!  Where as--if I am outside I can just slow down if I get tired! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment