Sunday, June 24, 2012

Morning Running

I want to start off with that I am NOT a morning person.  Never before in my life did I exercise in the morning except when I HAD to during Fall pre-season for soccer!  And that was torture!!

Well--I had been debating getting over my "love of sleep" and starting to run in the morning.  I know many many people swear by it, its not as hot, and then my runs are DONE.  No excuses for later in the day!  So..the other morning I bit the bullet.  I got up at 5:15 and went running.

And I LOVED it.  Seriously.  Its amazing what a cup of coffee can do for your motivation! LOL!  No, really--it was so amazing.  The coolness of the morning--the sounds of the birds waking up--and running as the sun joins me.  It was exhilirating.  And my run that day was one of the best runs I had had in a LONG time!

I bet you are wondering why I haven't continually, consistently done AM runs since I really loved it so much?  Well, when I started I wanted to get a good week to get into a routine before I started working.  I knew that I could lay back down when I got home with the boys after my early morning routine--making the 5:15 wake-up call a little more bearable.  Well, with work--that's just not possible!  Well, my husband wanted to try something that required him to leave the house before 5:30 am--and no one else was here (and willing) to make sure the boys didn't escape/wake up scared.  So...I couldn't.

Fast forward--the boys started sleeping crappier...and it made it harder to get up.  I did however, get out again last Friday--and actually DID go into work that morning!  And it was really REALLY nice!

I posted Wednesday about my horrible horrible run.  It was miserable--enough to totally question everything I am doing.  But--it DID however give me the motivation I NEEDED.  I NEEDED that push--that OH MY GOODNESS I AM NEVER GOING TO BE ABLE TO DO THIS push.

So I got up bright and early on Friday.  I set out--my goal was 3 miles.  No matter what it took I wanted to run 3 miles.  So I started.  I honestly didn't feel the best--but I seemed to really get in a GREAT groove!  My 1st mile was about 12:02.  Slow--but I will take it.  It was close to the 11's which is honestly fine!  I just wanted to accomplish my 3 miles!  2nd mile 12:03--like WOAH!  Holy consitency!  That was awesome--and I was feeling REALLY good!  My body was in a good groove and I really was feeling this run.  My 3rd mile---EVEN FASTER!  In fact--I felt myself WANTING to go faster, my BODY saying--Christine, we got you!  GO GO GO!  So I did--and it felt GOOD!  Now, could I have maintained the faster speed for 10 more miles--probably not--but as much as I want to say I am going to run the entire 1/2 marathon--I do plan on taking Hal Hidgons advice and walking through the drinking stations.  And I am pretty sure on our 1/2 marathon route that the drinking stations are no more than 3 miles apart (maybe 5 towards the end).  And I honestly, within a short distance--was ready to keep going after my 3 miles run!  It was really a beautiful beautiful run!  I feel MUCH better after that run!

My weekend schedule is not looking very good.  With picking up a 2nd job its going to be even harder to fit in my longer weekend runs.  However, I am bound and determined to do them.  Even if it means we have to inlist a babysitter (aka Grandma) so that my husband can join me (although he will just have to bear with my slowness) so that if we go out in the evenings and it is dark out--then I will have someone with me.  My goal is to get in an at-least 8 mile run this week.  With that--I also want to log in some good AM runs as well!   I have Monday/Wednesday/Thursday off in the evenings--so hopefully I will be able to log in a long run on those days.

The following week is a big week.  The 4th of July.  And by big--I mean, BIG.  I am thinking....that I am going to see if Justin wants to run a 1/2 marathon with me that AM.  Like--get up and set out about 6.  We both have the day off of work--so it would be the perfect day.  Plus, doing it in the AM will mean that I can have my mom listen/watch for them while we are out on our run.  It shouldn't be TOO long that the boys would be awake before we got back.  Do I think we will be fast?  Nope.  But what I DO know--is that we will have ACCOMPLISHED the distance.  And I will TRULY know what it will feel like on race day!   I am hoping we really follow through with this one.  Long, slow, and such an amazing feeling I am sure!  We will definitely have to do some things like water and chews for mid-run.  But--we will and it will be great! :)

So yes.  There you have it!  A good ol' training update!  The 1/2 Marathon was 1 month from Friday!  Eeks!

1 comment: