Sunday, March 25, 2012

New Runners!!! :)

I have been anticipating getting new running shoes for quite some time.  My current runners are Nike LunarGlides--and while they get the job done--I knew that it would be in my best interest to get myself fitted for the correct running shoes!  At the time I started running, money was tighter--and we couldn't afford 100+ dollars on a good pair of running shoes!  So I got what I could and they have served me well! :)  We had set aside money from our tax return for me to get my shoes--however, when our tax return came--we wanted to use that money for a few other things--and I knew that my Nike's were serving me well, so it wasn't a huge deal.  We have had the money several times over--I just hadn't gotten to the store before the money was allocated to other things (although the money should have been in a cash envelope...but that's for another day/blog!).  Finally yesterday Justin and I decided the money was there--so I headed up to Peak Performance!

However, yesterday when I went fitted I must have come at the perfect time! :)  Aside from the person helping me get fitted--his good friend was there to talk to him--who just happened to be a podiatrist.  SOO I got the opinion of someone who I value to be a professional in the sense of fitting people for running shoes--and someone who is a professional with how the foot works!!  Awesome right?!  Ya I thought so as well!

I went in not knowing what to expect--I figured I had a pretty "normal" gait and such--I have "pretty good" arches so I knew that wouldn't be an issue.  However, I walked out of there with a wealth of information!

The lo down--I over-pronate.  And my current runners do nothing to help correct this--and allows my foot/leg to twist all crazy--and in turn locks my big toe from moving smoothly.  The podiatrist said he knew this simply by the wear on the toe of my running shoes. (It is significantly worn)

So what does this mean for shoes?  This means I spent 117.00 on a "transitional" pair of shoes.  Basically--I need a shoe that is going to support my foot completely through my gait.  I need a "structured cushioning" shoe.  However, to go from what I am currently running with (My Nike Lunarglides) to the Asics Kayano shoes would mean a substantial, potentially miserable adjustment period for me.  So instead of making the "leap" they put me in Asics GT-2170's.  I tried on a pair of Saucauny's--but they felt much "stiffer" and they were very very bulky, in my opinion--the Asics were much "softer" and felt much smoother!  Plus, I like the looks of the Asics a LOT LOT LOT better!  The Saucauny's were pretty darn ugly :P  I know that shouldn't sway my decision--but it did! :P 

So here they are:

Cool right?  Yep--I like them too :P  The "next" shoes I will need to get for serious running--and which from what I can gather will be "my" shoe for a long time to come--are the Asics "Kayano" shoe.  The price for those babies are 160.00---ya, my eyes about popped out of my head as well!!  Never in my life have I spent more than 100.00 for a pair of shoes--let alone 150 dollars!!!!!!  The 2 guys helping me suggested I log about 250 miles in these, and then make the final transition to the Kayano's.  I am not so sure we will be able to afford it when I hit the 250 mile mark--but I will purchase them when we can afford them.  I figure even if I can't buy them when I am "supposed" to--by the fall I am thinking we will be able to get them--and I may actually see if the Expo's at any of the major races I will be running in are selling them!  That might be a way to get them slightly cheaper (even if they are the "older" model!)

In all--I am glad I went!  They said that the Asics should prevent my foot from rolling/twisting-allowing my big toe to move freely rather than lock.  Oh, and the podiatrist said I was a "great example" of over-pronation! :P  Made me giggle!

No comments:

Post a Comment