Saturday, March 24, 2012

Leprechaun Chase 10K

Last Saturday Justin, my Dad, and I raced in the 3rd annual Leprechaun Chase 10K!  Man was it a blast--and I am looking forward to running it again next year!! :)

Things started out about 12:00 for us!  We (Dad, Justin, and I) headed to Omaha!  It was a seamless ride--and despite the fact that we got out a little later than planned!  We arrived in Omaha with PLENTY of time to spare--in fact, we got there with so much time we were able to go to Sports Authority to return/exchange a few things! :)  We couldn't exchange one thing--but we did return the other!  They didn't have what I wanted--so I hung onto the gift card and we headed out to the Space Museum!  

We actually got there VERY early--one of the first people--and we were glad we did!  It made packet pick-up seamless and we were able to relax and have a good time before the race!!  We got ready--I put my tutu on--and we went over to stretch/get ready!
Tutu on--jacket on! :)  It was warm and windy that day--so I didn't actually need my jacket!

Dad with his shirt! :) He got a technical shirt!

All ready to run! :)

Dad and I at the start!
My dear darling husband, Justin, and I at the start! :)
One of the "cons" of this race was that there wasn't really any space to run/warm-up beforehand.  So--we were basically running cold.  Which, in reality isn't the greatest--but it didn't effect my run to terribly!  I made sure to stretch at least a little bit ahead of time.

About 4:15 or so we were allowed in the start corrals!  Now, this was another "con" in my opinion.  Because I decided to stay back about 3/4 of the way through the gated area--when in reality I was no any where close to the back of the pack (where I knew I needed to be).  It just made me feel bad for those faster runners who I knew were behind me!  I know how it feels to have people who are a lot slower in front of you!  I tried my best to stay on the very very right side of the path-but I still had people passing me on the right :(

The 1st mile was interesting--I knew I didn't want to push myself tooo hard--as I wouldn't ever finish.  The wind was a big factor--as well as the crazy hills that were in the course!  I must remind ya'll--I train on flat land--the biggest "hill" in my usual trail is an overpass.  So--needless to say the hills were tiring!  Thankfully--I had ran a HORRIBLE 10K the weekend before in the coldest, strongest wind ever! So, the wind for this race was really nothing in comparisson--the biggest "trouble" I had was that it was extremely dry wind--with some dust mixed in--making my mouth EXTREMELY dry--and me really thirsty!

As we got through Mile 1 I was feeling alright!  There was a drink station somewhere in the 2nd mile (but before the Mile 2 marker!) that I decided to go ahead and walk through to get a drink and catch my breath!  This was a great breather and just what I needed as I was feeling a bit defeated when I reached the Mile 1 marker.

After my drink I was feeling good--ran a good while, and then everyone in front of me started walking!  Like waves of people!  I was amazed by this!  It made it hard for me to push through and run!  I kept running--but then came to a huge hill and decided to walk (as it seemed like EVERYONE in front of me did!)--I am glad I did!  It was perfect for prepping me for the next bit!

Through-out the rest of the course I took a few walk breaks--but really did feel confident in my run! I walked way less than I had anticipated--with the hills and the wind!

Justin caught up to me about 3.5 miles into the race!  I got farther than I expected!! :)  I could tell he was hurting when he reached me--so I walked and talked with him for a few minutes!  It was nice--and I loved that part!  Such a plus! :)

I reached the finish line feeling confident-and even sprinted the last .2 miles! :)  AND--I finished BEFORE the clock hit 1:16!!  My goal was to finish under 1:15!!  So I was pretty pumped with how things went!

The after-party was so-so.  The lads won, so Justin and my Dad got a free beer--and we hung out just for the fun atmosphere! :)

Then I had my time printed out and was SOOO excited!!!  Below is my print out! :)  I was STOCKED to see that I had finished in UNDER 1:15!  In reality I could have/should have pushed myself a little bit harder--although I am proud of finishing the race!!  I ran a lot more than some of the people around me--but I still could have managed to push myself a bit more!  Le sigh! Next race! :)
Overall, it was a fabulous race with a few minor "cons"--will we do it again next year--heck ya!! :)  It was a lot of fun--and I loved the "chase" format!  I will however, start WAY back further than I did this year! Although next year that pace will be closer to 11 minutes than 12!! (Or even lower!)
Dad, myself, and Justin at the after party! :)    

1 comment: