Sunday, January 1, 2012

The beginning.

I guess I should start at the beginning of my journey.

It starts about 5 years ago (April 2006). My boyfriend (now husband) and I went to a Cardinals vs. Cubs baseball game in St. Louis--while we were there, we visited my Grandma Ginnis--she took us to her absolutely favorite resturant in the whole city--Talania's. While we sat there enjoying our pizza and baked ravioli--I noticed a large bump around her jaw bone. My heart sank--I had no idea what was to come--and I really had no idea what it was--but I remember thinking "That does no look right" I remember Grandma assuring me that she thought it was an absess tooth and not to worry.

Little did we know it was cancer. A very aggresive form of Oral, Head, and Neck cancer. Surgery 1 happened less than a month later. They got it all, but the recovery was long and difficult. They had to remove the bottom half of her jaw and reconstruct it. Not once during the whole thing did she complain. She stayed strong. Battling through the chemo and radiation. We visited her several times while she was undergoing Chemo--and it was so hard to see--but she always kept her sense of humor, her smile, her fiestiness.

Fast forward to August 2008. Grandma had mentioned that she had another bump growing in her mouth. The cancer had come back :( She once again--was able to become cancer free with surgery. Things were looking up! This surgery and recovery was MUCH easier. It was such a beautiful thing!

Fast forward again to the Spring of 2009. I was pregnant with Owen (my 2nd) and having complications. We were living in Omaha--in an apartment and I needed some help BAD. Getting things together--so I begged my mom and Grandma to come up. They did--and stayed for several weeks. Helping to prepare for Owen--and it was then that our memories and bond started to grow. After Owen was born she was there--for many many weeks. She stayed at my house with us day in and day out--helping and loving my boys. She was such a beautiful person. She was so strong--having gotten and beaten cancer twice--she never complained, always had her fiesty crazy ways. A year after her 2nd surgery she was still cancer free! We enjoyed an amazing Thanksgiving full of food and memories--Owen's and Joey's 1st! Grandma was there, full of smiles and hope!

It was March of 2010 that she noticed a lump in her mouth. And she knew it. She knew that it was, once again cancer. This time--she waited to have the surgery--she wanted to enjoy the month long vacation she had previously planned (to visit her Sister). The time she waited it grew--and by the time they went to do the surgery...her cancer had spread to the point that they couldn't operate. The only option now was Chemo (as she had already "maxed out" her radiation treatments). And we were told--this was simply to give her more time. Precious Precious time.

Over the next months we spent every possible moment with her. Traveling and staying with her for weeks on end during that summer. It was a time I will NEVER forget--and I hope that my boys will remember that summer. Owen was only 1--but the love that she had for him was more than anyone else. She would never admit it--but Owen stole her heart--he was her boy. Grandma's boy--and he surely has her personality! :) We celebrated her birthday with a surprise party--we celebrated Thanksgiving with her--although she just wanted to go home. I got to talk to her that weekend--just her and I up in her room. It was precious precious memories.

Grandma fought the cancer with every ounce of her body. She never once complained. She never once said "Why me" She endured more pain, more hard times, more suffering than anyone ever should have to--but through it all--she still smiled when she saw us. She still played with the boys even when she felt so weak she didn't want to function.

In December 2010--her heart stopped, not once-but TWICE. And she had a DNR--the dr's and staff were sure that she would not make it through the night/morning. I flew as fast as the airplanes could take me--to get to see her one last time, unsure if I would be able to make it down there in time. I DID--in fact--every time her heart stopped, a few seconds later she would start kicking and gasping for air. She also told the nurses and dr's she wanted to FIGHT! The few days I spent in the ICU in St. Louis will forever be some of my most cherished moments. I got to talk to Grandma about life, about love, and about everything. She was so alive.

In January 2011 the Chemo stopped working-and as we knew was going to happen--her cancer spread like wildfire. There was nothing else left to do but let her go. My brother, children, and I went to St. Louis on Jan. 5th to say goodbye. I will never forget that day. I will never forget having to walk away from her--having to pry her hands off of me so we could leave. She went into hospice I believe January 8th (I think)---and even in Hospice--with her body failing her--she fought. She fought for two long weeks. She fought when the dr's kept saying "any hour." She fought every.last.second. to live.

Why do I tell you this? Because this is why I run. This woman, Grandma Ginnis, is the strength that gets me through long runs. The angel I run with--my inspiration.

I also run to raise awareness for cancer. In particular--Head, Neck, and Oral cancer (the cancer that took Grandma Ginnis).

I run--because not only have I always wanted to run a marathon--I know, that 26.2 miles will NEVER compare to the pain and fight Grandma had.

And that's where this journey begins. 26.2 for her.

3 comments:

  1. Great piece...you'll do great on race day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As hard as this was to read, its an amazing story, Christine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you, an Gma is so proud of you. Right before she slipped into a coma you told her about a teaching job, she could no longer talk or write but she clapped and cheered for you. It was the last time I remember her being able to communicate with us. She loved you so much, she loved "her" boys more than anything. She did fight harder and longer than I thought was humanly possible. I see more of her in you every day, your strength, your need to help and care for everyone you meet, your determination, your spirit. I know that she continues to cheer you on.

    ReplyDelete