Saturday, August 11, 2012

Rock and Roll 1/2 Marathon COMPLETE!

I did it.  Well, WE did it!  My brother Sean was the 1st to cross the finish line followed by my husband Justin and my dad and I came in last but not least! :)  We finished!  That's all I cared about!  We weren't fast by any means--but that's not what counted!  Crossing that finish line was what counted!

The weather was HOT.  My training was sub par at best. But I had the best support running by my side! (Who happened to be WAY better trained than I! LOL!)  Dad and I ran/walked the entire thing.  I got defeated early on--and got dizzy quite early in the race :(  So that was definitely nerve racking for me!  My dad totally pushed me and we actually did "stop light" runs!  Which totally helped give me a visual/goal to focus on!

The race itself was pretty awesome.  I however wished I had my music to tune into.  The bands were great--but they didn't resonate quite like I thought they would!  So there was a lot of "quiet time" between bands!  The spectators were great--and everyone was so supportive!  It was an awesome environment!

One of the COOLEST moments in the whole course was about Mile 9 there was a race "coach" (they were there supporting through the last say 5 miles of the course!) and he was giving a pep talk that really made Dad and I laugh/feel better.  He goes (in a not so official quote) "If someone asks how you are doing--don't lie--don't bring yourself down by saying bad.  Yes you may be in pain--and you may feel horrible--but think positive.  Positive thoughts will get you through.  If someone asks how you are doing simply reply "I going forward""  It was just what we needed then.  Plus a bag of ice someone had left was super helpful as well! (We didn't drink it--but it was so nice to be able to put on our necks/hands to cool them down!

Overall-the race was great and we really did have a good time!  Next up: Race for Hope (5K), The Des Moines 1/2 marathon (more on this later), and the Hot Chocolate Race (5K)!  To end the year I am going to be sponsoring a December Winter Wonderland race! :)  Not sure the name or much about it yet--however, I know it will be in December and directly benefit the society that gave so much to my Grandma and asked nothing in return!  If I have enough signed up I am going to get shirts made and sent out to the participants!  More to come later! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment